Like other branded promotional materials, videos produced by Ohio State should be of the highest quality to properly represent The Ohio State University.
Video production is a time-consuming, expensive process. The use of video should be carefully considered.
Key Video Elements
Key elements to consider:
- Action: Is anything going on, or is this just a “talking head”? If no other footage can be incorporated, reconsider whether video is the best option.
- B-roll: What opportunities are there to use other footage to illustrate the story?
- Timeliness and turnaround time: How quickly can you reasonably produce the video, and is there a need to turn it quickly?
- Exclusivity: Does the video give the viewer a glimpse of something they may never see? (Example: the Buckeye Bullet racing on the Salt Flats.)
Footage should follow guidelines similar to photography:
- A person or people prominently featured
- The use of B-roll (action, artistic representations, shallow depth of field, interesting camera angles, and saturated color to add visual interest)
- A sense of place, using familiar Ohio State locations, icons, and traditions
- When possible, the inclusion of something scarlet or Ohio State-specific. As we know, every university has students reading books together and faculty members pointing to a whiteboard, consulting with a patient, or examining a beaker of liquid. So, consider: Can a book in the background have a red cover? Can the researcher wear her lab coat with the university’s logo on it? Look for ways to add a touch that says, “This is Ohio State.”
Not sure if your ideas are in line with our brand guidelines? The university’s brand team is here to help. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an art review, samples, or advice.
Clean, clear audio is essential. Background noise should be minimized as much as possible, unless used for effect.
Multiple versions of Carmen Ohio are available for download for use in multimedia production such as video production and podcasting. Download them from TV and Video Resources.
Video published across our channels reflects the brand. The use of branded templates ensures all colleges and units across the university are marketing to constituents in a cohesive and consistent way. We want social media followers to immediately recognize a message from the university in their feeds and posts from friends. Producing videos with branded content can be a difficult and time consuming process. That's why we've created easy to use assets for your video needs. If you're an experienced video professional, you can download individual elements for use in your NLE editing process. If you are a social media professional with knowledge in the Adobe Creative Cloud products, you can use our complete templates for Premiere, After Effects or Photoshop.
Open Logo Element
This simple logo element is to be placed at the beginning of the video, superimposed on top of the opening image. Our research has shown that social media users prefer to get right into the content without having to use an opening identifier. This animation is a way for us to quickly brand the content without losing the interest of the viewer.
Download Open Logo
Download includes Quicktime files with an alpha channel
This element can be used to visually transition from one video clip to another. Especially when there is a change in topic or location, in order to "pause" before moving on. You can also use this element for transitioning to graphics and full screen text.
Download includes Quicktime files with an alpha channel. Place this clip on the top layer of the sequence, centered over the two transitioning clips.
End Board Element
This animation is to be placed at the end of the video as a finishing mark. Using this element gives a consistent look and feel for every video produced, regardless of the format and content.
Download includes Quicktime files with an alpha channel. The first ten frames should be placed over the last video clip.
This 3-minute b-roll compilation features scenes of iconic buildings and aerial footage of campus including the Oval and Ohio Stadium.
(Full video is 1280x720 H.264 458mb, no watermark)
- Open Logo Element
- Transition Element
- Lower-third template
- Text Overlay
- End Board Element
- Carmen Ohio music files