People love free stuff, especially free Ohio State stuff. Merchandise, aka "swag," can be an effective reminder of our brand. However, don't expect it to carry your entire message and compel your audience into action. Instead, it should be a part of the whole Ohio State experience you provide.
When designing identification elements for merchandise, keep it simple, and remember that the Ohio State name is the one that will make someone hold onto a pen or T-shirt. Consider leveraging the power of the university logo and be creative with the name of your unit, program, etc.—like using your URL, Twitter handle or hashtag rather than the full name. "OSU.EDU" is a powerful brand indicator, and online interaction with the university later is a great opportunity for your audience to further engage with the Ohio State brand.
- The logo can be made smaller than minimum size when necessary due to size limitations, but work with your vendor to estimate readability.
- The merchandise exception logo may be used.
- In limited situations, when space does not allow for the full logo, the Block O (with the ®) may be considered. Submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consider using approved secondary art as brand-appropriate decorative elements.
- Consider representing your name with text using Proxima Nova, e.g.:
- The Ohio State College of Medicine
- Ohio State College of Medicine
Note: These are exception use cases and should not be used as a unit identifier.
Merchandise and apparel exception logo
Because of the complexity of the university logo, we have worked with the trademark and licensing department and approved merchandise and apparel manufactures to take the guesswork and challenges out of clean production.
This special configuration is an additional option for embroidery and other merchandise or apparel production methods that require an increase in the size relationship of the block O to the wordmark. The standard logo is still preferred. Exception secondary signatures are also available. Please contact trademark and licensing for a list of approved vendors who have these files.
Like print and electronic communications, there is a great deal of creative flexibility built into branded Ohio State apparel. Follow the logo use rules for all apparel designs and wear the brand proudly.
- All apparel must be approved through the brand team and trademark and licensing.
- A university-approved vendor must be used. Contact trademark and licensing for more information.
The following colors have been found to accurately match our primary brand colors:
Scarlet – Isacord 1903
Gray – Isacord 0111
There is no better way to polish off your professional look than with our iconic block O. The official university lapel pin is produced by an Ohio company and manufactured in the U.S. It is the one and only official university lapel pin.
Official lapel pins may be ordered via eStores with a standard university eRequest or PCard:
- Pin item number: #G810101
- Pins are packaged in individual poly bags and sold in packages of 50 at the cost of $62.10.
- The minimum order is one package.
- Please allow 2 days to receive orders from eStores.
- The pin may not be resold.
If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com.
- Merchandise and apparel exception logo